Solar lights can be useful when it comes to lighting garden path during the night or when you want to decorate your home to look welcoming and bright.
Solar lights charge up when the sun is shining and the stored energy is used at night to light your home. Most solar lights come with solar panels but some have the solar panel separated from the lights. As the solar panel gets bigger, the more the energy is stored resulting in brighter lights. Solar lights come with batteries that last for several years and having them clean is crucial. Residues on the panel should also be removed so that it doesn’t affect charging. The best thing about solar lights is that it gets its power from the sun.
During grey days, charging can be ineffective but it can store a little charge. When fully charged, some solar lights can last up to 10 hours.
Table of Contents
- Why solar lights?
- Top 5 best outdoor solar lights 2018
- 1) RuggedGrade 120 Watt LED Wall Pack Light – 14,800 Lumens- High Efficiency 120 Lumen to Watt – 5000K Bright White -Replaces 600-800W- 100,000 Hour LED Wall Light –Commercial Grade Wall Pack LED Wall Lighting
- 2) Bellagio Collection 21″ High Post Mount Light
- 3) Gama Sonic Pagoda Solar Outdoor LED Light Fixture, Pier Base for Flat Mount, Black Finish #GS-104P
- 4) Hyperikon LED Flood Light, 150W (750W Equivalent), 5000K (Crystal White Glow), Waterproof, IP65 Waterproof, 120-277v, Instant On, UL and DLC
- 150w Flood Light
- Types of bulbs that can be used
- What to consider when buying solar lights
Why solar lights?
These lights have come a long way. In the past, these lights were dim and most people didn’t prefer them. However, today the use LED bulbs which are brighter than most lights. The LED bulbs also release less heat which means that it can run with less energy.
Using solar lights gives you the freedom of choosing where you want to place your lights.
There has been a significant improvement in solar cells which led to more energy being stored even during winter, cloudy and in shady areas. This means that lights can still be on during the night in the winter nights. However, they may not last long enough like during the summer.
Solar lighting may be used with motion detection technology for pathway lighting. It can also be used to light up the pathway, add ambiance to your home or for nighttime hazard detection.
Solar lights offer welcome light while beautifying your home. They offer lights for your patio, walkway, and garden. They are also popular for swimming pools, decks, statues, plant groupings or water features.
Top 5 best outdoor solar lights 2018
1) RuggedGrade 120 Watt LED Wall Pack Light – 14,800 Lumens- High Efficiency 120 Lumen to Watt – 5000K Bright White -Replaces 600-800W- 100,000 Hour LED Wall Light –Commercial Grade Wall Pack LED Wall Lighting
- BETTER DESIGN – DLC came back at 119.7 Lumens to watts! Even better than expected! New Phillips Luxeon SMD 3030 LED modules 120 Lumens per watt – Save even more by using a lower watt unit. Compare the lumens against others. Premium grade components make this an industrial grade LED Wall Pack Light.
- BRIGHT LIGHT – 14,400 Lumens can replace a 600-800W bulbs or 400-500 watt HPS/HID or METAL HALIDE light. 5000K light color ensures a bright clear light.
- BUILT TO LAST – 100,000 LED saves having to replace bulbs- Aluminum Housing with high tech Heat Sink. Better Heat dissipation ensures longer LED life and safety. IP65 Waterproof for all weather conditions. All backed by a 5 year warranty.
- CERTIFIED – UL Listed and DLC verified for safety and rebate eligibility. UL Certified products ensure better quality, safety and reliability. DLC is the Design Lights Consortium for independent verification of performance.
- EASY INSTALLATON & OPTIONAL PHOTOCELL. Unit has 3 conduit entrance locations and a standard circle cutoff in the rear for easy installation. Whether you are retrofitting an old unit or doing new construction, these are easy to use. Dusk to Dawn sensors (Photocells) can be added but are not required.
2) Bellagio Collection 21″ High Post Mount Light
- 21″ high x 10″ wide. Weighs 5.5 lbs.
- Uses one 60 watt bulb (incandescent, LED, or CFL). Bulb not included.
- Bellagio collection post mount light for pathways, driveway areas and more.
- Post light only. Fits on a 3″ diameter pole, not included. May also be pier mounted with an adapter which is sold separately.
- Champagne-style hammered glass. Veranda bronze finish.
3) Gama Sonic Pagoda Solar Outdoor LED Light Fixture, Pier Base for Flat Mount, Black Finish #GS-104P
- Lantern mounts on horizontal surfaces and contains solar panels, 8 super-bright LEDs, and Gama Sonic’s cone-reflector technology to enhance lighting
- Automatically turns on at dusk and off at dawn–also has manual on/off switch
- Convenient high/low brightness switch provides specialized illumination
- Shines up to 15 hours on low setting and up to 12 hours on high setting at full charge
- Constructed with weatherproof, rust-resistant cast aluminum and beveled glass
4) Hyperikon LED Flood Light, 150W (750W Equivalent), 5000K (Crystal White Glow), Waterproof, IP65 Waterproof, 120-277v, Instant On, UL and DLC
150w Flood Light
Introducing the Hyperikon 150W LED Flood Light – An ultra high output flood light
Hyperikon’s LED Flood Light provides high performance, long life and energy savings in a simple, no-frills conventional looking fixture. This Flood Light fixture brings the latest solid-state LED technology to the market with the use of our own patent pending Helios technology, which provides a true lighting experiencing in appearance and ambiance. Our LED Flood Lights provide you with cheaper and healthier lighting compared to your conventional fluorescent light. Replace your 750W incandescent or fluorescent fixtures with Hyperikon’s 150W version and save 80% off your energy bill.
With Hyperikon’s 24/7 Customer Support on your side, it’s never been easier to save money on your energy bill. Your satisfaction is our priority and should you for any reason not be happy with your LED flood light, our Customer Support are there to help you!
THE LATEST SOLID-STATE LED TECHNOLOGY
Hyperikon LED Flood Lights bring the latest solid-state LED technology to the market with the use of our own patent pending Helios technology, which provides a true lighting experiencing in appearance and ambiance.
5) Outdoor 250W LED Flood Light- 500W–800W HPS or HID Equivalent- 25000lm-Cold White 5000K Floodlight – Meanwell Driver And Philips LED
- Outdoor Use 250W, 25000LM, 600W–800W HID Replacement
- 5 Years Warrenty with Meanwell Driver( UL No.:E334687) and Original Philip LUMILEDS( ULNo.:E352519)
- Daylight White 5000K, Very Bright and Beautiful, Bright your life and Save Your Bill
- 100–277V For North America Use, High End LED Lights
- Excellent Appearance, Very Light Weight, Well Thermal Management Make Sure Long Life Span
Types of bulbs that can be used
You can use any type of light. However, garden solar lights have replaced the bulbs with LED lights. LED lights can even last the entire life of that product. LED lights emit light in a particular direction, unlike fluorescent and incandescent bulbs. LED also produce less heat which reduces the amount of energy used.
The use of LED has increased in popularity because of their effectiveness. They can be found different colors.
Solar light choices – There are a variety of options to select from when it comes to solar lighting. You can choose from the following options;
Garden light accents – these lights are placed in places that you want to create attention. It can be around an arbor or wound in the trees. You can add amazing lights in shapes of flowers, birds or butterflies.
Solar path lights – these lights are used to light up the walkway. It can be used in driveways, garden paths or sidewalks.
Solar spotlights and task lights – spotlights and task lights can be the expensive choices due to brightness and versatility for specific needs. It can be used to light up the pathway but they are usually used for water features, house front lighting, and statuary. They come with a separate solar panel for more usability.
What to consider when buying solar lights
You will need solar lights that can serve the intended use. When you are looking for an extra light that can offer security then consider those that shines light over a large area. If you are looking for pathway lights, then go for the lights that can illuminate the path only.
Brightness – different solar lights have different lumens. The 1-watt bulb can produce 20 lumens. This is a low-level light. You can find solar lights with higher lumen rating. When purchasing solar lights, consider the number of lumens.
A number of lights – you will find solar lights that are sold individually and are meant to be placed in specific areas. You will also find others that are connected in strings and can illuminate long areas such as decks, gardens, parking areas and sidewalks.
Batteries – some lights allow you to change batteries when you need to. This can extend the light’s life for a long time. In other types, you will have to replace the light when it stops operating.
Changeable settings – many solar lights come with one setting. Others have an adjustable setting. This means that solar lights can work during the day. It can be useful when you need more illumination or when you use motion detection in places like workshops or garages.
Range – some solar lights are designed for a shorter range such as those used in garden or pathway. Those designed for long-range includes those used for patios.
Solar outdoor lights are of different sizes and types. They can be used for patio, garden, and walkway lighting. They are easy to install, flexible and are of wide variety.
A home with a lot of dark corners should have the best outdoor solar lights. You should go for the durable and affordable option when it comes to outdoor lighting. Since you won’t have to connect to electrical outlets, solar lights are appealing to most people.
You can go for functionality instead of decoration. It can be a durable and long-lasting choice. However, there are many choices when you need solar lighting. You should choose solar lights depending on your needs. Apart from saving a lot of money, solar lights are reliable. They also help in conserving the environment.
Since solar lights come in different designs, colors, shapes, and sizes, you will always find the one that meets your needs.